- Emerging Cultural Leaders
Emerging Cultural Leaders
Emerging Cultural Leaders (ECL) is a five-month skills development and mentoring program for emerging artists and cultural facilitators who live, work or have other connections to Melbourne’s western region.
The ECL program is an initiative to provide skills development and mentoring for up to 15 individuals who are seeking to enhance their community engagement and arts practice. Past graduates have gone on to forge their own careers in community cultural development as artists and producers.
‘ECL has given me a real insight in to how an arts organisation can meaningfully work with culturally and linguistically diverse artists and audiences. The sense of community and openness seems to come so naturally to FCAC, and I’m excited to move forward with their support in my career in the arts.’
— Andy Butler, ECL 2017
Who can apply?
We encourage participants from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander communities, all abilities and socially marginalised groups.
Eligible participants are those that are based or spend a significant amount of time in Melbourne’s western region and the program will especially targets individuals and communities who are likely to have an ongoing relationship with Footscray Community Arts Centre over several years.
Participants do not need to have any prior experience in working in the arts in a community context, but do need to be passionate about and capable of sharing their new skills with their communities.
What do participants get out of it?
Emerging Cultural Leaders program provides:
- Pragmatic and fundamental skills for best practice in community-engaged, contemporary and innovative arts (such as Project Management skills, Frameworks for Consultation, Ethical Considerations to guide your practice, Funding Application skills etc.)
- Frameworks to inform your community engaged practice (such as Inclusive Arts Practice, Environmental Sustainability and the Arts, Ethics of Self-Determination, Feminist Arts Practice etc.)
- Networking opportunities with industry leaders, including leaders of communities in Melbourne’s west
- Group outings to key arts organisations in Melbourne
- Weekly sessions with leading industry professionals
- Mentorship and support from FCAC staff
When does the program happen?
The ECL program generally runs from June to November each year. Participants work through a series of curated activities and receive ongoing mentorship for their own activities.
Download past ECL brochures to find out more:
1- Emerging Cultural Leaders 2019. Image by Jessica Ibacache.
2- Emerging Cultural Leaders brainstorm, 2019. Image by Jasmeet Sahi.