LIVING NOW Theatre Residency 2018/19
In 2018 Malthouse Theatre and Footscray Community Arts Centre continue their partnership through the LIVING NOW program. This project has been assisted by the Australian Government through the Australia Council for the Arts, its arts funding and advisory body, and the Malcolm Robertson Foundation. This program supports visionary storytellers to bring culturally contemporary stories to the stage. Now in its second year, the program provides a residency and development opportunity for two writers from diverse backgrounds with an interest in theatre.
About the Program:
The program comprises a flexible residency based at Malthouse Theatre in 2018–2019, where writers will develop their ideas in preparation to pitch for a mainstage commission. You can read about the 2017 participants here.
Expressions of interest are invited from writers, storytellers or playwrights from diverse cultural backgrounds with an interest in developing a new work.
Two writers will receive:
- Eight-month residency at Malthouse Theatre, including a writing workspace, invitation to opening nights and regular meetings with a dramaturg to further develop ideas for a new theatrical work
- Opportunities to observe Malthouse Theatre’s productions in rehearsal
- Residency Fee ($2,500)
Interested artists are invited to attend a briefing session hosted by Footscray Community Arts Centre and Malthouse Theatre to hear more about the program.
Time and date: Monday 23 July 2018 at 6pm
Venue: Jack Kennedy Meeting Room, Footscray Community Arts Centre
How to Apply:
As part of your application, please submit:
- Completed EOI Form including your bio and an artistic statement (form link)
- Optional supporting material including examples of writing or current work (10 pages max)
Email your application to Khalid Warsame at [email protected]
Deadline for submissions is 5pm on Monday 30 July 2018.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend a panel interview with representatives from FCAC and Malthouse Theatre to discuss the ideas and stories they would like to explore throughout the residency.
Applicants are not required to pitch an idea at this stage, but are welcome to include any supporting material that will provide insight into past work or concepts for exploration during the residency.
- Applications Open: Monday 9 July 2018
- Program info session: Monday 23 July 2018 at 6pm
- Applications Close: Monday 30 July 2018 at 5pm
- Panel Interviews: To be held between 8-15 August 2018
- Residency period: From September 2018
Living Now was made possible through the support of the Malcolm Robertson Foundation and the Australia Council for the Arts.