LIVING NOW: Writers Residency – Applications Open
In 2017 Malthouse Theatre and Footscray Community Arts Centre partner to deliver LIVING NOW, a new program providing a residency and commission opportunity for two writers from diverse backgrounds.
Made possible by the Malcolm Robertson Foundation, this program supports visionary storytellers to bring culturally contemporary stories to the stage. LIVING NOW comprises a flexible residency based at Malthouse Theatre in 2017, where writers will develop their ideas in preparation for a mainstage commission.
Expressions of interest are invited from writers, storytellers or playwrights from culturally and linguistically diverse or Indigenous backgrounds with an interest in developing a new work for theatre. Applicants are not required to pitch an idea or submit a treatment for commission, but are welcome to include any supporting material that will provide insight into past work or concepts for exploration during the residency.
Two writers will receive:
- A residency of up to 8 months at Malthouse Theatre, including a writing workspace, invitation to opening nights and regular meetings with a dramaturg and selected mentors to further develop ideas for a new theatrical work
- Opportunities to observe Malthouse Theatre’s productions in rehearsal
- Residency Fee ($2,500)
- New play commission ($15,000)
Interested artists are invited to attend a briefing session hosted by Footscray Community Arts Centre and Malthouse Theatre to hear more about the program.
Monday, 27 February 2017, 6pm-7pm
Footscray Community Arts Centre
RSVP essential to email@example.com
How to Apply:
- Completed EOI Form including your bio and an artistic statement
- Optional supporting material including examples of writing or current work (10 pages max)
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend a panel interview with representatives from FCAC and Malthouse Theatre to discuss the ideas and stories they would like to explore throughout the residency.
- Applications Open – 15 February 2017
- Program info session – 27 February 2017
- Applications Close – 13 March 2017
- Panel Interviews – week commencing 27 March 2017
- Residency period – April-November 2017
For all media enquiries please contact Jenna Williams, Manager – Marketing and Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org / 03 9362 8883
Image: Brown Cab Productions My Lovers’ Bones, 2015. Photo by Deryk McAlpin.
Presented in partnership with Malthouse Theatre. Supported by the Malcolm Robertson Foundation.