‘Arising is a consequence of falling.’ – Steven Tran, curatorial team.
ARISING presents 32 creative responses to interruption, isolation, resilience and strength during the events of 2020. The exhibition shows a diverse selection of drawings, paintings, photography, spoken word and artist diaries. Works were produced by artists from FCAC’s ArtLife program during lockdown.
Artists are integral for constructing the way forward during a global crisis. This exhibition shows ArtLife artists’ reimagined visions of a brighter, more flexible and more connected way ahead, seeking to spread hope and positivity quicker than a virus.
‘When nearly everything we usually do is out of the question, we always seem to find ways to improve our work. Not even the virus can stop us, and even though it’s been a rough time for us, we have found ways to rise to the occasion. Hopefully when this whole COVID thing is over and done with, we will be stronger than ever.’ – Teagan Connor, ArtLife artist.
From 4 December to 22 January, ARISING is accessible:
- Online using the 360° Virtual Exhibition Tour player below.
- In-person in FCAC’s Roslyn Smorgon Gallery. Find out more about FCAC’s COVID Safety guidelines.
Content warning: Some works in this exhibition feature nudity and sexual content.
To enquire about purchasing artwork, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Welcome to ARISING Online
The video player below contains three videos welcoming you to ARISING:
- An Acknowledgement of Country by Uncle Larry Walsh
- A word from FCAC’s Executive Director and Co-CEO Robyn Gawenda
- A few insights from ARISING curators Steven Tran and Pamela Debrincat
For the best experience, click the fullscreen button (four arrows pointing to the centre to the right of the settings button) on the bottom right corner of the viewer.
360° Virtual Exhibition Tour
How to use the Virtual 360° player:
- Enter full screen by clicking the last icon on the right
- Click the arrows to move around the gallery
- Click the ‘i’ icon to read about the artwork
- Click the picture icon to view the work
- Start and stop auto rotate to look around the gallery
Tell us what you think! We’re interested in your experience navigating ARISING, and in particular, the Virtual 360° experience. Let us know by completing this short survey.
Presented as part of the ArtLife Program at Footscray Community Arts Centre, a Registered NDIS Provider.
IMAGE: Detail of Girl in a Mask (2020) by Emily Dober. Photograph by Lucy Buxton.