Emerging Cultural Leaders
Emerging Cultural Leaders (ECL) is a seven-month skills development and mentoring program for emerging artists and cultural facilitators who live, work or have other connections to Melbourne’s western region.
The ECL program is an initiative to provide skills development and mentoring for up to 15 individuals who are seeking to enhance their community engagement and arts practice. Past graduates have gone on to forge their own careers in community cultural development as artists and producers.
“Through ECL I realised what makes us who we are is our cultural differences, and that these differences need to be celebrated. The arts sector has power to address issues of diversity, promoting and facilitating a space where people can feel comfortable being who they really are.”
— Antonio Moreira, ECL 2015
Who can apply?
We encourage participants from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander communities, all abilities and socially marginalised groups.
Eligible participants are those that are based or spend a significant amount of time in Melbourne’s western region and the program will especially targets individuals and communities who are likely to have an ongoing relationship with Footscray Community Arts Centre over several years.
Participants do not need to have any prior experience in working in the arts in a community context, but do need to be passionate about and capable of sharing their new skills with their communities.
What do participants get out of it?
Emerging Cultural Leaders program provides:
- Pragmatic and fundamental skills for best practice in community-engaged, contemporary and innovative arts (such as Project Management skills, Frameworks for Consultation, Ethical Considerations to guide your practice, Funding Application skills etc.)
- Frameworks to inform your community engaged practice (such as Inclusive Arts Practice, Environmental Sustainability and the Arts, Ethics of Self-Determination, Feminist Arts Practice etc.)
- Networking opportunities with industry leaders, including leaders of communities in Melbourne’s west
- Group outings to key arts organisations in Melbourne
- Mentorship with a leading industry professional
- Mentorship and support from FCAC staff
When does the program happen?
The 2015 ECL program runs from April to November 2016. Participants work through a series of curated activities and receive ongoing mentorship for their own activities.
Meet our 2015 Emerging Cultural Leaders here.
Click here to download the 2015 FCAC ECL brochure.
Click here to download the 2014 FCAC ECL brochure
Click here to download the 2013 FCAC ECL brochure.
The Emerging Cultural Leaders program is assisted by the Australian Government through the Australia Council, its arts funding and advisory body, the Lord Mayor’s Charitable Foundation, and Learn Local.
1- Video by Rachel McLaren, 2015
2- Image by Justyn Koh, 2015
3 Image by Rachel McLaren, 2015
4-5 Images by Rachel Main, 2013