Emerging Cultural Leaders
APPLICATIONS FOR 2018 PROGRAM NOW OPEN
Emerging Cultural Leaders (ECL) is a six-month skills development and mentoring program for emerging artists and cultural facilitators who live, work or have other connections to Melbourne’s western region.
The ECL program is an initiative to provide skills development and mentoring for up to 15 individuals who are seeking to enhance their community engagement and arts practice. Past graduates have gone on to forge their own careers in community cultural development as artists and producers.
‘ECL has given me a real insight in to how an arts organisation can meaningfully work with culturally and linguistically diverse artists and audiences. The sense of community and openness seems to come so naturally to FCAC, and I’m excited to move forward with their support in my career in the arts.’
— Andy Butler, ECL 2017
Who can apply?
We encourage participants from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander communities, all abilities and socially marginalised groups.
Eligible participants are those that are based or spend a significant amount of time in Melbourne’s western region and the program will especially targets individuals and communities who are likely to have an ongoing relationship with Footscray Community Arts Centre over several years.
Participants do not need to have any prior experience in working in the arts in a community context, but do need to be passionate about and capable of sharing their new skills with their communities.
What do participants get out of it?
Emerging Cultural Leaders program provides:
- Pragmatic and fundamental skills for best practice in community-engaged, contemporary and innovative arts (such as Project Management skills, Frameworks for Consultation, Ethical Considerations to guide your practice, Funding Application skills etc.)
- Frameworks to inform your community engaged practice (such as Inclusive Arts Practice, Environmental Sustainability and the Arts, Ethics of Self-Determination, Feminist Arts Practice etc.)
- Networking opportunities with industry leaders, including leaders of communities in Melbourne’s west
- Group outings to key arts organisations in Melbourne
- Weekly sessions with leading industry professionals
- Mentorship and support from FCAC staff
When does the program happen?
The 2018 ECL program runs from June to November 2018. Participants work through a series of curated activities and receive ongoing mentorship for their own activities.
ECL 2018 Information Night
Come along to FCAC on Monday 16 April, 5:30 – 6:30pm for an information night about the ECL program for 2018. Hear from past ECL participants and staff to know more about the program.
Let us know if you would like to attend the ECL Information Night by sending your RSVP to email@example.com.
How to apply?
Applications for the 2018 program are due Thursday 26 April. Applications must contain the following:
1. Your current CV or Biography detailing your practice
2. Application Form
Please send your enquiries and applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet our 2017 Emerging Cultural Leaders here.
Click here to download the 2017 FCAC ECL brochure.
Click here to download the 2015 FCAC ECL brochure.
Click here to download the 2014 FCAC ECL brochure.
Click here to download the 2013 FCAC ECL brochure.
Emerging Cultural Leaders 2017 is supported by Learn Local.
1-2 Videos by Rachel McLaren, 2016
3- Image by Snehargho Ghosh, 2017