What is the Emerging Cultural Leaders Program?
The Emerging Cultural Leaders (ECL) Program is a skills development and mentoring program for emerging artists and arts workers who live, work or have connections to Melbourne’s west and similar communities.
The ECL program is an initiative to provide participants a chance to develop and broaden their skills, engage with experienced arts professionals, and expand their knowledge of the community arts sector. Through the program, participants come together to learn arts event management skills, work on individual artistic outcomes, establish networks and receive mentoring from experts in the arts sector.
The program is an opportunity for participants to excel and take risks in their art form, learn best practice approaches and gain confidence to be a successful and influential arts practitioner.
Who can apply?
We encourage participants from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander communities, all abilities and socially marginalised groups.
Eligible participants are those that are based or spend a significant amount of time in Melbourne’s western region and the program will especially targets individuals and communities who are likely to have an ongoing relationship with Footscray Community Arts Centre over several years.
Participants do not need to have any prior experience in working in the arts in a community context, but do need to be passionate about and capable of sharing their new skills with their communities.
What do participants get out of it?
The ECL program provides:
- Pragmatic and fundamental skills for best practice in community-engaged, contemporary and innovative arts (such as Project Management skills, Frameworks for Consultation, Ethical Considerations to guide your practice, Funding Application skills etc.)
- Frameworks to inform your community engaged practice (such as Inclusive Arts Practice, Environmental Sustainability and the Arts, Ethics of Self-Determination, Feminist Arts Practice etc.)
- Networking opportunities with industry leaders, including leaders of communities in Melbourne’s west
- Group outings to key arts organisations in Melbourne
- Weekly sessions with leading industry professionals
- Mentorship and support from FCAC staff
When does the program happen?
The ECL program generally runs from June to November each year. Participants work through a series of curated activities and receive ongoing mentorship for their own activities.
Download past ECL brochures to find out more:
2019 FCAC ECL brochure
2018 FCAC ECL brochure
2017 FCAC ECL brochure
2015 FCAC ECL brochure
2014 FCAC ECL brochure
2013 FCAC ECL brochure
Emerging Cultural Leaders 2020 is supported by Learn Local.
1- Emerging Cultural Leaders 2019. Image by Jessica Ibacache.