- Emerging Creative Leaders
Emerging Creative Leaders
Applications for Emerging Creative Leaders 2021 are now closed.
Successful applicants will be notified via phone or email by 31st August, 2021. Keep up to date with artist opportunities at FCAC by subscribing to our e-newsletter or following us across Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Take your artistic practice to the next level with Emerging Creative Leaders 2021
Emerging Creative Leaders is an Artist Development Program for creatives to come together and develop their practice.
Over a series of seventeen workshops, participants will be supported to expand their understanding of the community arts sector, build a strong knowledge foundation for their practice, create a community of peers with program participants and alumni, and create industry connections.
Now in its eighth year, Emerging Creative Leaders is an opportunity for participants to excel and take risks in their art form, learn best practice approaches and gain confidence to be a successful and influential arts practitioner.
Applications close Monday 2 August, 11.59pm.
Should I apply?
This program is right for you if:
- you are an artist or arts worker underrepresented in mainstream arts and culture. Footscray Community Arts Centre works with artists from Indigenous, culturally and linguistically diverse, disability and LGBTQIA+ communities
- you are an emerging to early-career artist or arts worker (in first five years of your practice)
- you are a local (we cannot support costs for travel and accommodation)
- you can attend all workshops (see timeline below)
- you want to build relationships with other artists and connect with renowned industry professionals
- you want to learn new skills through workshops to develop your creative practice or leadership capacity
- you want to contribute to social and ecological justice locally, nationally, and internationally through art, film and creativity
What will you learn?
Led by industry professionals and peers, the fortnightly workshop program will respond to the learning goals of participants, covering pragmatic and fundamental skills, along with ethical frameworks for best practice in community-engaged, contemporary and innovative arts. Topics may include:
- Creating in First Nations Contexts
- Community engaged practice
- Marketing, publicity, web presence
- Arts sector: industry and networking
- Mental health and wellbeing
- Grant, budget and sole trader skill development
- Artform skill development
- Accessible and inclusive practices
- Artists as activists
- Communicating and working across cultures
When do sessions take place?
Sessions are held fortnightly on Tuesday evenings, 6 – 8.30pm from 21 September 2021 to May 2022. Some sessions will be hosted by guest industry leaders; others will involve peer learning workshops facilitated by participants.
There will also be a number of ‘All In’ sessions, in which participants from all of Footscray Community Arts Centre Artist Development Programs will come together for learning and networking opportunities.
What are Peer Learning sessions?
In addition to workshops led by industry professionals, participants will be encouraged to lead a workshop or activity related to their practice for other participants (around 10-12 people) to learn, share and celebrate knowledge held within the group. We don’t expect participants to be an ‘expert’, simply be able to share their interest and curiosity with others.
As part of your application, you will be asked to describe this activity/workshop.
Information Sessions and Program Timeline
Learn more about our Artist Development Programs by watching the Auslan interpreted info session below.
|2021 Program Timeline|
|Call out opens||Tuesday 29 June, 2021|
|Info session (Online)||Tuesday 20 July, 6-7pm|
|Info session (For First Nations program – Online)||Wednesday 21 July, 6-7pm|
|Info session (Auslan interpreted – Online)||Thursday 22 July, 6-7pm|
|Expression of interests due||Monday 2 August, 11.59pm|
|Programs commences||Tuesday 21 September, 2021|
|Emerging Creative Leaders workshop dates||Tuesday 21 September, 6-8.30pm
Tuesday 28 September, 6-8.30pm
Tuesday 12 October, 6-8.30pm
Tuesday 26 October, 6-8.30pm
Tuesday 9 November, 6-8.30pm
Tuesday 23 November, 6-8.30pm
Tuesday 7 December, 6-8.30pm
Tuesday 11 January, 6-8.30pm
Tuesday 25 January, 6-8.30pm
Tuesday 8 February, 6-8.30pm
Tuesday 22 February, 6-8.30pm
Tuesday 8 March, 6-8.30pm
Tuesday 22 March, 6-8.30pm
Tuesday 5 April, 6-8.30pm
Tuesday 19 April, 6-8.30pm
Tuesday 3 May, 6-8.30pm
Tuesday 17 May, 6-8.30pm
If you have any questions about the Emerging Creative Leaders program or the application process, check out our FAQs. Alternatively, you can email your question to email@example.com or call 9362 8888.
1- Image by Shuttermain